On Finding My Inner Goblin

If truth be told, we haven't gotten a good tabletop RPG going in quite a very long time. ("We" being myself and my family.) Something always happens to cause us problems. Usually it's someone not really liking their character or coming up with a new character idea. The last problem we had involved my character being broken and out of balance.

I should back up and explain. Many years ago I created an NPC named Sytch. She was a somewhat ungoblin-like goblin inspired by Squee from Magic: The Gathering. Sytch was smarter than other goblins and she was actually cute. I never played Sytch as my character. She was always an NPC, though she made her appearance in many of our games. I had grown quite fond of the little goblin girl and didn't think I could do her justice if I tried to play her. I actually did try to play her before, unsuccessfully. 

I thought I had found a solution. Our games are a mix of D&D and Pathfinder, with a few other sources as necessary. It was suggested to me to try making Sytch a Chemist, using the Final Fantasy d20 class. That allowed her the joy of playing with bombs. Of course, neither the person who suggested this nor I actually thought this through. Sytch's bombs ended up being way too powerful. We learned the hard way that Final Fantasy d20 doesn't mix with any other game system. Period. Yes, yes. I know. We should have known better, blah blah blah. Live and learn.  

Yesterday I tried something different with Sytch. I made her a druid with a wolf named Smudge as her animal companion. I hadn't really played a druid in quite some time and I thought maybe it would be fun. Last night's game was a blast! We were all using new characters, or in Sytch's case, reworked. 

As far as our game went last night, the star of the night really had to be a runic dwarf named Mathias. Mathias was played by someone who has been having trouble, just like me. He has been fighting with a mental block when it comes to creating characters. Think of it as a writer's block for gamers. I do believe that he found success with Mathias! He was so much fun! Completely insane personality had us laughing so hard. I had a blast!

[As a side note, I've been dealing with depression making its presence known at night. I was actually HAPPY last night!]

I've decided that I'm going to try DMing again. I used to be fairly decent and I came up with some memorable encounters. It's been a long time though and I'm very rusty. But I am determined to DM again. I am determined to get my creativity back. And I think Sytch is going to be a big part of that. I finally found my one special character. 💚

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of T.M.Revolution at Otakon 2013

Depression & The Spider's Web

T.M.Revolution, Kimonos & Spiderman 2