Of Sluaghs, Ravens and Secrets

I suppose I should preface this. I enjoy playing tabletop role-playing games with my family. We usually use a d20 homebrew that includes Dungeons & Dragons and Pathfinder. The following is a biography that I'm working on for my current character:

My name is Raven Anjelica... Raven Anjelica Addams-Crowley, to be precise. I am a Sluagh. I really am, you know. I should know what I am shouldn't I? You do know what a Sluagh is, don't you? We are the things that go scritch in the night. We are the unexplained shadows, the whispers in the dark, striking fear into the hearts of wicked little children – and sometimes adults.

I live with my Great-Great-Great Grandmama in a lovely secluded and dilapidated Victorian country manor. You'll never find it unless you know exactly where to look. There is so much history within these tattered walls! 

We have an attached greenhouse with delightfully shattered windows. When the wind blows through the broken windows just right we can hear a soft, haunting howl. It's very soothing to hear. One of my favorite places, however, would have to be our library. It's dusty and musty with ragged overstuffed chairs. Old newspapers are strewn across the floor, but Grandmama can tell you exactly which one you need for any given news article. The books in our library are wonderfully worn copies of the best Victorian authors and poets. Wonderful stories about ghosts, vampires, werewolves, man's folly with animating the dead, lost loves… Though, I must say, amongst my favorite books are the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe. I especially love Poe's The Raven. I'm sure you can understand why. 

My personal chambers are decorated with a raven motif, of course. Raven statuettes, raven bookends, raven candleholders and candelabra. I even have an exquisite old canopy bed with a raven motif! Grandmama still won't tell me how she got it. The canopy curtains and the bedding are of the same fabric, a beautiful purple-black crushed velvet edged with gold tassels. Grandmama even found an antique Grandfather clock with a raven motif! It's history traces back to the Black Forest. Grandmama really does spoil me.

Oh, where are my parents? They live in the city not far from here. A little too suburban for my liking. They work in the information business, if you know what I mean. They gather information, or secrets if you prefer, and their business depends on who wants that information versus who doesn't want that information revealed. It's quite profitable in election years. Extortion? Spying? Well, you can call it what you like. I can't stop you. Information is just another form of merchandise. Is it not?

As much as I would love to simply stay home, reading my books, listening to the wind howl, I am developing a bit of wanderlust. I want to do some traveling, learning the histories of places far from home. Grandmama said that she would support me in my explorations. She said that it would be good for me, that it would advance my education. Now I just need to find some suitable traveling companions.

How could I defend myself if need be? Oh, please don't worry about my well-being. I'm far from defenseless. There's more to me than what I've revealed. For now I shall keep my secrets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Memories of T.M.Revolution at Otakon 2013

Depression & The Spider's Web

T.M.Revolution, Kimonos & Spiderman 2